Golden State Water Company is one of the largest investor-owned
water utilities in the United States. We have been all about water
for more than 80 years. Our team of professionals delivers
reliable, quality water and great service to customers in 75
communities across California.
The Capital Program Engineer reports to the Capital Program
Manager who is accountable for ensuring the delivery and completion
of capital projects on time and within budget by stewarding
projects from inception to closing. The Capital Program Team is
responsible for managing the Construction Work In Progress (CWIP)
by expeditiously completing and closing projects. The Capital
Program Engineer is accountable for ensuring multiple assigned
projects are completed on time and within budget by hands on
project management and by assignment of staff to individual tasks
and projects in an efficient manner. The Capital Program Engineer
will ensure the coordination of pre-construction, construction and
commissioning activities with Operations, Engineering Design, and
Water Quality departments to minimize disruptions to core business
activities and to deliver projects that meet the needs of
front-line utility personnel.
The Capital Program Engineer is responsible for the supervision
of the capital program staff including Project Coordinators,
Inspectors and Project Engineers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages construction of capital projects for Golden State Water
- Coordinates internal and external resources towards the
completion of assigned capital projects, while working closely with
and balancing the needs of operations, customer service,
engineering design, and water quality functions and schedules.
- Prioritizes assigned capital projects within area of
- Manages multiple projects in various locations as
- Prepares, monitors and reports on assigned project schedules
and budgets; Monitors quality control and inspection activities and
implements corrective actions when required.
- Approves vendor and contractor payment requests.
- Plans, directs, assigns, reviews and evaluates the work of any
- Coordinates field changes with appropriate engineering
- Prepares and presents to management periodic reports on
progress of assigned capital projects.
- Ensures that legal, regulatory and company requirements and
commitments are met with respect to assigned capital projects.
- Represents or assists in representing company in public
settings with respect to projects.
- Resolves issues with vendors and/or contractors regarding
commencement, execution and completion of construction projects
working closely with the contract management team.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical or
Environmental Engineering AND registration as a Professional
Engineer (PE) in the state the individual is assigned OR Bachelor's
Degree in Construction Management/Construction Engineering or
closely related field AND Project Management certification (PMP) by
the Project Management Institute (PMI) or the American Academy of
Project Management (AAPM).
- No less than four (4) years of relevant experience in managing
public works and/or public utility projects.
- At least two (2) years of relevant supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of and experience using project management software
(particularly Primavera and MS Project) preferred.
- Experience with the JD Edwards and the PowerPlan accounting
software package a plus.
- Experience as a Water Engineer in the water utility industry a
- Strong oral and written communication and analytical
- May include but not limited to standing, walking, bending,
pulling and/or pushing, grasping, lifting, reaching, stooping and
crouching, color determination, typing, sitting, reading, speaking
Qualities of a Successful Capital Program Engineer:
- Flexible, thoughtful, accountable and passionate about
- Willingness to learn
- Strong interpersonal skills (written and oral
- Excellent customer service support and interventions with a
- Highly organized
- Self-starter with a good sense of urgency
- Demonstrated people management skills
- Ability to make independent sound decisions in a timely
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
Web Based Learning, Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint
and other applicable software.
Working Knowledge: Principles and practices of project
management, construction management, planning, and budgeting, safe
work practices; familiarity with meeting the requests of the
regulators that provide over site of utilities and their projects,
including utility commissions or boards, health service departments
and various federal and state agencies, plus knowledge of fire
department and other local agency regulations as they pertain to
the construction and installation of water supply and distribution
Ability to: Analyze data on project budgets and schedules and
identify and implement corrective actions; communicate clearly and
concisely, orally and in writing; make effective, professional
presentations to a wide variety of audiences, such as community
groups, schools, businesses and public commissions; write and
create technical publications, reports, training curricula,
brochures and other materials to inform and persuade the public
about capital improvement programs; establish and maintain
effective working relationships with subordinate staff, peers,
professional associates and with the general public; supervise,
train and evaluate staff.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable
individuals with special needs to perform the essential
Must be willing to travel as required by project needs. Travel
can be up to two (2) overnight stays per month and turnaround
full-day trips, by car or by air, up to four (4) days per
The responsibilities of this position will involve access to
information that may be considered confidential, private and
sensitive. Therefore, the individual filling this position will be
required to both allow and pass a background check.
Golden State Water Company is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, colors,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability or protected veteran status.