Part-time work paying $18.03 per hour plus $4.41 Health &
Welfare benefit, a total of $22.44 per hour!
RTI International is currently seeking Field Interviewers (FIs)
to work on a government-sponsored research study, the Health Center
Patient Survey (HCPS), which is sponsored by the Health Resources
and Services Administration (HRSA). The survey will be conducted
with a national sample of patients who use health centers funded
under Section 330 of the Public Health Service Act.
All FIs work as employees of RTI's Data Collection Staff (DCS)
This is a part-time position offering an average of 20-25
hours/week, which will vary depending on Health Center and
respondent availability/schedule. FIs initially will be responsible
for conducting interviews over the telephone or video. FIs may be
asked to travel to assigned health centers and conduct in-person
interviews with eligible respondents when it is safe to do so. The
position will begin with a virtual training over Zoom in late June.
Work is expected to continue through October 2021. Qualified
candidates must be willing and able to work a variable schedule and
commit to the full duration of the study.
- Serve as liaison between Health Center staff and RTI Project
- Meet performance expectations in areas of efficiency, quality,
response rates, and schedule.
- Available to work a schedule of approximately 20 - 25 per week
to conduct screenings/interviews.
- Available and willing to work a variable schedule
- Available for entire training and data collection period.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times.
- Ask survey questions verbatim using computer-assisted personal
- Document all activity and interaction with respondents as
- Use a project-provided laptop computer to transmit interview
data, send and receive e-mail to/from project staff.
- Participate in a regular conference call with the FS and
periodic group calls with other FIs.
- Obtain cooperation of survey respondents by effectively
answering questions and addressing concerns
- Correctly obtain informed consent and to conduct personal
- Accurately complete all project documents and reporting
- Adhere strictly to project deadlines for completing interviews,
reporting progress, and returning materials
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records of progress in the
- If working in the field, must be willing to agree to any
COVID-19-related protocols put in place by RTI. These could
include, among others, wearing face coverings, gloves, taking
temperatures daily, social distancing with survey respondents,
and/or completing a health pledge. All safety supplies required for
use on the project will be provided by RTI.
- High school graduate
- Success directly or indirectly related to experience in field
interviewing and/or phone interviewing
- Successful experience with field data collection
- Demonstrated ability to work with others
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the first date
- Must have a valid driver's license and reliable personal
automobile available for business use or access to public
transportation if assignment allows.
- Demonstrated ability to work with supervisor and complete
assignments on schedule
- Effective communication skills.
- Must have a telephone available for conducting interviews. FIs
will not be reimbursed for phone charges.
- Must have access to wireless internet for transmissions
- Ability to adapt to various social environments and areas.
- Must be fluent in Spanish.
- For bilingual Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Tagalog, and
- Successfully complete all components of the RTI bilingual
- Review a Field Interviewing manual and complete a home study
assignment prior to attending training
- Attend and successfully complete a 5-day FI training session,
including certification, to be held virtually.
- For bilingual Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Tagalog, and
Vietnamese: Successfully complete all components of the RTI
bilingual certification program, a day supplementary training
immediately following the main training event.
This position falls under the U.S. Department of Labor Service
Contract Act (SCA). Hourly wage will be determined based on the
county in which work is being performed. The pay rate for Santa
Barbara County, CA is $18.03/hour. In addition to hourly pay, a
Health and Welfare stipend of $4.41 per hour will be provided for
up to 40 hours per week. You are also eligible to receive pay for
up to 10 holidays and annual vacation time payout.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research
institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely
on us to answer questions that demand an objective and
multidisciplinary approach-one that integrates expertise across the
social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international
development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are
inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of
people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more
information, visit www.rti.org.
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must
be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job, as outlined above. Examples include:
operating a computer, a phone, and other office machinery, driving
to households; walking from car to household; thinking, learning,
and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with
other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving
about inside and travel between households; ability to handle the
stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight
deadlines;, ability to work a varied schedule, including evening
and weekend hours based on project needs; consistent demonstration
of mental stability and ability to have regular, reliable and
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, per RTI
For USA Job Postings Only: RTI participates in the US Government
E-Verify program. Further information regarding the E-Verify
program and laws that are designed to protect you against
discrimination relating to your legal right to work in the US can
be found at https://www.rti.org/jobs.
For San Francisco, CA USA Job Postings Only: Pursuant to the San
Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment
qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Further
information is available here.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is