Vice President Engineering
Location: Santa Maria
Posted on: February 24, 2021
The Vice President Engineering is responsible for cradle to
grave design and delivery of their respective Aircraft Cabin
Interiors product line (i.e. Floor To Floor, Lavatories, Galleys,
Advanced Composites, Engineered Materials, etc.). The Vice
President Engineering must be able to design creative, attractive,
reliable, market leading, cutting edge products which are easily
produced via a low cost assembly process. Summary of
- --- Works closely with senior staff to establish short and long
range program and operating goals and metrics.
- --- Participates in developing division strategic plan,
initiatives and budget process. Implements and monitors performance
of product line (or BU) plans and initiatives.
- --- Coordinates with Sales, Program Management, Commercial
Aircraft, OEM customers, and other stakeholders to evaluate
customer specifications, engineering and regulatory requirements,
and budgeting for new projects.
- --- Practice proactive performance management, recommend and
initiate promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action for a
global, multi-site engineering team
- --- Responsible for the creation of Technology Roadmaps for
products, materials, and special processes, and provides support
and ensures all R&T and Innovation supports these road
- --- Works with R&T peers and Division product Line
Management to ensure Technology Road Maps are in alignment to
Product Line Strategies and Market needs.
- --- Works with manufacturing and advises on operational needs
for planned new processes or materials
- --- Drives innovation to ensure Division sales
- --- Interact and interface with our external sales team and key
customers to better understand our customers and market needs and
demonstrate insight and innovation to deliver the best
- --- Responsible for recruiting, training, fostering, and
developing world leading engineers and innovators.
This position will report directly to the Division EVP responsible
for those products and have dotted line reporting to our Cabin EVP
Engineering. Vice President Engineering provides professional and
technical guidance to ensure that effective engineering practices,
processes and procedures are developed, implemented and adhered to
across the division. Ensures the most effective use of the tools
and facilities is achieved. Provides direction to management
regarding all activities and policies related to the product line's
design, engineering and production efforts. Complementary
- --- Personal Responsibility - Maintain clear leadership
philosophy and build consensus around organization values; make
sound and timely decisions by taking calculated risk while assuming
responsibility, evoke trust by being appropriately open, honest,
ethical and consistent; you seek to eliminate inefficiencies and
engage others; and encourage organization, prioritization,
follow-through and time management.
- --- Direction Setting - Create, articulate and inspire a vision
for change; keep organizational focus on customer through
expectations, involvement and feedback; recognize importance of
teams and when to use them; and communicate expectations clearly
while encouraging and recognizing accomplishments.
- --- Strategic Leadership - Analyze trends/benchmarking data,
develop alternatives, and identify opportunities for leverage; set
and keep focus on goals, utilize resources effectively, anticipate
issues; articulate a vision and encourage innovation and
problem-solving to support it; and display openness to new ideas,
change and learning.
- --- Organizational Management - Value and encourage
professional and personal development through continuous learning;
delegate and support decision making; translate strategic goals
into actionable plans and remove obstacles; and maintain
cross-functional relationships and gain cooperation and support.
Job requirements Experience: 10 years in a specific product line
(Galleys & Lavatories or Floor To Floor & Composites); 5 years
formal leadership experience with proven track record of effective
team-building and talent development within a design and build
organization Computer Skills:
- --- Proficient knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Other Skills:
- --- Aviation/Aerospace background and aircraft interior
industry experience required
- --- Knowledge of industry standards, such as RTCA DO160, RTCA
DO-254, & MIL-STD-810
- --- In depth knowledge and experience in Research & Technology
- --- Proven ability to effectively interface with global
aircraft interior customers (i.e. Commercial Aircraft OEMs)
- --- Proven management skills including leadership of
high-performing team, employee development, and effective change
- --- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally
as part of an established and growing team.
- --- Ability to build effective working relationships, persuade
and influence, and problem-solve complex issues.
- --- Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving
- --- Excellent conceptual, technical, and financial skills
- --- Demonstrated experience as advanced user of productivity
suites, Internet, MRP systems, and related financial, planning and
- --- Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving
- --- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific
and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from
customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business
community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication
that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively
present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards
- --- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as
probability and statistical inference, fractions, percentages,
ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- --- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts,
and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive
variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form
and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- --- Ability to sit for extended periods of time, use hands to
lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 pounds, and have close/color vision ability to adjust
- --- Ability to work outside of core business hours and travel
as required. Additional Preferred Skills: (not required)
- --- Masters or MBA desirable Specificity of the job Up to 50%
Company information Safran is an international high-technology
group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and
interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to
contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport
is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible.
Safran has a global presence, with 81,000 employees and holds,
alone or in partnership, world or European leadership positions in
its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development
programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T
and Innovation roadmap. Safran is featured on the "Happy at work"
rankings. The Group places fourth on the Capital ranking for best
employers in France. Safran Cabin provides all elements of a
seamlessly integrated cabin Interior. From the overhead bins,
lavatories and galleys to crew rests and cargo containers, either
as independent world class products or as a fully integrated cabin.
Key information R&D Technical Direction
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager Other job openings that might
Keywords: Safran, Santa Maria , Vice President Engineering, Executive , Santa Maria, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!